Thursday, June 24, 2010

Savory Butternut Squash

I usually don't make my own recipes, but this one actually turned out so good that I wanted to share it! Most butternut squash recipes are sweet like a pumpkin pie, but I wanted this one to be savory... so if you're looking for pumpkin pie type squash, this isn't the recipe.

1 large butternut squash peeled and cubed
1 medium onion diced
1 tbsp. fresh minced garlic (I buy the jar pre-minced)
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. seasoning salt
pinch of black pepper
pinch of red pepper
3/4 can of vegetable broth

Add olive oil and garlic to a soup pot and saute until garlic is starting to brown. Add in the onions and saute until they start to get soft. Add in the squash and saute for about 5 minutes stirring every minute or so. Add in the vegetable broth and seasonings. You can adjust the seasoning to taste. I like to taste the broth and add a little more at a time. Let the broth boil down until the squash is tender when you poke it with a fork.

There will be a bit of sauce in the bottom of the pan that makes a really good vegetarian gravy! I put it over mashed potatoes and it's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment